"Nought may endure but Mutability." -Percy Bysshe Shelley

"Nought may endure but Mutability." -Percy Bysshe Shelley

Sunday, June 19, 2011

TIME MACHINE

While taking a walk after dinner, I said something to my husband (Item #2 on the list) to which he replied "I never thought I'd hear you say that."  This got me thinking about all the things I have said that if you'd told me years ago were to come out of my mouth, I'd laugh and call you crazy.


All of these statements are things that underscore how change invades our lives, both uninvited and unwelcome, as well as invited and pursued.  Our experiences are fluid, changing one year to the next, and sometimes one moment to the next.


Following is the top ten list of things I NEVER thought I'd say....but DID. Some are paraphrased conversations, but some are exact quotes, and I am sure you will know which ones are which.  :-)


10 "As long as you live in my house..."
9   "I'm 37 and my daughter is a sophomore in college."
8   "I'm 37 and this is my newborn son."
7   "I just watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off and was torn about whether to root for him or the teachers."
6   "I'd like to downgrade my service and disconnect my Blackberry please."
5   "You guys were right...my daughter shouldn't have roomed with a friend at college."
4   "Poison control?  My 3 year old just ate superglue..."
3   "I LOVE MY MINIVAN."
2   "Why can't I run everyday?"
1   "Get baby Jesus out of your mouth."


None of these statements causes me any regret, just laughter at how cemented I was into my expectations of what my life would be like.  And heartier laughter at how my expectations were in many cases, totally ridiculous.  


With a grateful heart I have made each of the above statements and appreciate the circumstances surrounding them as lessons learned and memories made.  

2 comments:

  1. Tracy,
    I very much enjoyed reading this, and it got me thinking about all of the things I never thought I'd say like...
    I'm painting every wall in MY house!
    I made this from scratch!
    haha
    I like your blog:)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete